Who are we?
spark* is a boutique marketing and communications firm based in Ottawa. We specialize in projects and campaigns related to advocacy and public affairs, awareness and reputation.
At our core, we are storytellers. We believe in beautiful design and crisp messaging to influence, persuade, create awareness, and spark action. We are lucky to work with some truly fantastic and diverse client-partners that include non-profits, charities, unions, associations, coalitions and corporations. We help them to take their often complex issues and distill them into understandable, digestible messages and stories, using language and visuals that resonate for their niche audiences.
The people who work at spark* are politics and news junkies and they are not shy about letting you know about where they stand on the #cndpoli issues of the day. We are a small, but mighty team of passionate people who value a hot take, a well-timed gif, or a meticulously aimed green shell in lap three of Mario Kart. We are firm believers in Pizza Fridays, as well as a positive, encouraging work environment. Professional development is important to us, and so is having a well-stocked snack cupboard.
So, what’s the opportunity?
To continue to provide a high-quality level of service and support to our growing clientele, spark* is expanding our team by adding a new account representative to our ranks. Part strategist, part campaign + project manager, the account team members are responsible for all client-facing relationships, as well as keeping all the trains running on time. The responsibilities related to this position include, but are not limited to:
- Conduct day-to-day communications with spark* clients via email, phone, video (or in-person in a post-Covid world).
- Staying up to date on the news and current events related to our client issues.
- Set strategic direction for client campaigns and projects and provide ongoing strategic counsel to clients.
- Run and contribute to brainstorming sessions; introducing new ideas, different approaches and treatments, and bringing forward inspiring examples you have seen ‘in the wild’.
- Support and lead business development efforts.
- Assist in the drafting of campaign plan documents, including overall campaign strategy, creative strategy and media plans.
- Possess a positive attitude and be willing to take on new challenges. Be open to teaching yourself new skills, software, or techniques when necessary, and show initiative to find solution
- Work under tight timelines, prioritize projects, and be able to shift gears when required.
What makes an ideal candidate?
- Minimum 5-years’ experience in communications, politics, and/or public affairs role; consulting/agency experience is a plus.
- Proven track record of breaking down complex issues in order to create simplified messaging designed to cut through clutter.
- Desire to support and lead business development efforts, including researching new business opportunities, participating in Request for Proposal submissions, drafting campaign proposals, and preparing for and participating in pitch meetings.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills. There is a lot of writing… like, a lot!
- Experience with stakeholder management, media relations and public engagement considered an asset.
- Someone who enjoys working on multiple files and issues at the same time.
- Someone who loves news, politics, and a good debate.
- Position is in Ottawa, but open to applications across Canada for remote work.
- Demonstrate an interest and involvement in politics, civic engagement, and/or activism/causes.
- Bilingual language skills.
- Have a cute pet who you bring to the office.
- Competitive base salary with incentive-based compensation.
- Flexibility in where staff can choose to work. We have an open-concept office located in downtown Ottawa, but people decide when it makes sense to come in.
- Generous paid time off arrangement.
- Health, dental and wellness coverage for you and your dependents.
- Big emphasis on professional development and upskilling opportunities.
- Supportive, fun, and collaborative work environment – with many social activities and outings throughout the year.