spark*advocacy is looking for a web developer to join our creative team. Reporting directly to the Executive Creative Director, you will be responsible for developing and maintaining websites and website infrastructure.
Projects will range from simple single page experiences to larger CMS based websites. You will be responsible for taking designs and bringing them to life on the web.
- Must have demonstrated experience building and maintaining WordPress or Craft CMS, or Drupal sites to be considered.
- Maintain sites over time including updates, patches.
- Use CSS frameworks for more rapid and consistent development, such as Bootstrap, Foundation, TailwindCSS, etc.
- Extrapolate and develop mobile responsive versions of websites using best practices.
- Test websites on multiple platforms such as Windows, MacOS, iOS and Android.
- Maintain website infrastructure including Linux/Unix server skills, Apache/Nginx, virtualhost configs, etc.
- Understand and maintain backup and recovery strategies.
- Implement and uphold a secure workflow to avoid hacks and unauthorized access to server infrastructure.
- Be able to access, configure and utilize related server software such as MySQL, SSH.
- Be able to collaborate with other members of our team, including other web developers.
- Understand and apply optimizations either on the server side or on the application side, including web accessibility.
- Implement analytics tags and assist the digital team with setting up tracking and retargeting abilities through Google Tag Manager.
- Work under tight timelines, prioritize projects, and shift focus when necessary.
- Meet deadlines, and effectively communicate important updates to team members.
- Participate in brainstorms, introducing new ideas, different approaches and treatments.
- Stay up to date on the latest trends in web development.
- Be open to constructive feedback.
- Possess a positive attitude and be willing to take on new challenges.
- Be open to teaching yourself new skills, software, or techniques when necessary and show initiative to find solutions — and also be willing to teach others.
- College or University diploma in web development techniques, or be able to demonstrate sufficient experience in lieu of a certificate.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience
- Experience with one or more of WordPress, CraftCMS, Drupal, or other content management systems.
- Familiarity working within a development, staging and production environment, including using source control principles and software.
- Interest or background in Canadian politics, political causes, or civic engagement.
- Graphic design experience.
Does this sound like you? Send an email and let’s talk email@example.com